Historic site and monument

The Bridge of the English


About us

One of the oldest metal bridges in the world, the "Pont Victor-Emmanuel" also called "Bridge of the English" spans, even today, the Isère.

Built from 1856 by the English Newman, this work reflected the will of Victor-Emmanuel 1st, King of Sardinia and Savoy, to open a new path. Completed under the reigns of Charles-Félix then Charles-Albert, the 236 m long building, with five bays, became obsolete in 1874, abandoned in favor of the railway built on the right bank towards St-Pierre d' Albigny. This bridge is now at the center of a rehabilitation project.

Contact & Access